Friday, October 12, 2012

Sleeping Beauty

My sophomore year, like most Provo girls that experience the great missionary migration, I was down for any date I could get. When a coworker asked if I was interest in a blind date with her newly returned missionary she knew, I was down like a frown. She warned me that he was "fun-size" but a really good kid.

When he called later that week, conversation came easily and I started to really look forward to meeting him. It seemed great because he had actually PLANNED something. Called me AHEAD of time, and hadn't mentioned his mission ONCE! Winner!

             No. Not a winner. 

When I opened the door that Friday night, we were eye level. Not a big deal, but it's no fun when all future hopes of tip-toe kisses die before you even say hi. 

He opens the door and we head out, and again conversation was easy! He even makes me laugh a couple of times which is not the easiest thing to do. We meet up with the friend that set us up and her date and sit down for dinner. After introductions, I get up to use the lady's room. As I turn the corner, I hear my date ask my coworker, "What's her name again?"

           Yes. He forgot my name.

My pride was shattered. (I might have "accidentally" stepped on his toes when I came back.)

But the rest of dinner was nothing special. It was obvious to me that this was going to be a first/last date for us. We parted ways with the other couple for our activity. His roommates had claimed the apartment TV that night so he grabbed a projector and set up a little drive in movie for us near Vivian Park.

He brought a good movie which I had already seen. It wasn't long until I had nodded off.

Keep in mind that:
          a) We had just met
          b) He forgot my name not 2 hours before
          c) We are not cuddling for holding hands

So when I woke up to his hot, spit covered lips on mine, TRUST me-- I was not a happy camper. I was so shocked, I just pulled away and said, "Excuse me, but I'm sleeping."  (Really biting remarks never come when you need them.)

Anyway, the rest of the night was pretty awkward. He dropped me off without getting out of the car. We both said "sorry" instead of "goodbye". It was the last I saw of him, but at least I know I'm Sleeping Beauty!


2 comments:

  1. Cousin Haley, when are you going to run out of awkward first blind date stories where the guy tries to kiss you? Where do you find these guys? How many of these stories can you really have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikey. Remember that all of these stories are not me.......

    ReplyDelete